Saturday 19 March 2011

The Ring (2002)

Today, I had some friends over at my house so I could show them the horror movie, The Ring. When I say The Ring, I'm not talking about the original J-Horror flick Ring (Ringu), I'm talking about the Gore Verbinski 2002 U.S remake. Now that I have seen it again, I can write an accurate review of one of my top favourite horror films. Scary just isn't the right word.
It is said to be an urban legend, a video tape that kills the watcher seven days after watching the tape. When 4 teenagers who all watched the tape together on the same night die puzzling deaths (heart stopping for no apparent reason) a week later, news reporter Rachel Keller (whom also happens to be the aunt of one of the dead teenagers) watches the tape, and has seven days to live, she sets out to uncover the mystery of the tape.
Like I said, scary isn't the right word. The film is scary, but also severely disturbing, horrifying, suspenseful enough to kill you (or at least make you want to hide under a blanket) and depressing, with a Twilight-esque theme and killer scary music, using no gore at all. It will make you scream, without intestines spilling or head drilling.
Niomi Watts has a determined spirit, and plays it out perfectly. Protecting her son (though not working) whom seems to be in kahootz with the ghost of the little girl (not going to give anything away) from the tape and trying to find out what the nightmarish tape means can prove difficult.
This is a must watch for all horror fans. You will be scared...believe me...you will be scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment