Sunday 13 March 2011

2001: A Space Odyssey

I have taken notice that every time I post something, the amount of views for my blog goes up. So unless that is a glitch or if more people view whenever I post, I'm just going to keep posting.
So anyways, last night I rented the timeless classic 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm only 12 years old (going on 13) and want to be a filmmaker, and I know I can't do that unless I study (watch) the classics and masterpieces (The Godfather, Titanic, Schindler's List, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.). So, as I have always wanted to do, I rented 2001.
I was not dissapointed.
Even before I rented I was afraid that I might turn it off half-way through, because I knew it was a slow movie (though that never really bothers me). It was slow, let me tell you, but that is what makes the film a masterpiece, remembered as one of the greatest films ever, and one of the neglected in its time. However, this is not a film to watch if you want to know the meaning of everything in the movie. This film is very...confusing. Stanly Kubrick did a fantastic job using metaphores and symbols to represent something. However, though there are many theories on 2001's true meaning, we may never know, as Stanly Kubrick said that he would never reveal the true meaning (and he's dead now, don't get your hopes up). In fact, this film has almost more theories that any film ever made.
When the world is ruled by apes, one particular group discovers a mysterious rectangular monolith near their home, which imparts upon them the knowledge of tool use, and enables them to evolve into people. 4 billion years later, a similar monolith is discovered on the moon, and it is determined to have come from an area near Jupiter. Astronaut Dave Bowman, along with four companions, sets off for Jupiter on a spaceship controlled by HAL 9000, a revolutionary computer system that is every bit humankind's equal--and perhaps its superior. When HAL endangers the crew's lives for the sake of the mission, Bowman will have to first overcome the computer, then travel to the birthplace of the monolith.
The film is haunting and stunning. The special effects are way ahead of their time (1968) and makes the audience feel like the film was made in the late 90's. The climax is the most captivating, but I cannot reveal, because that would ruin the expierience.
What also makes this film so great is its mix of genres. It includes horror, humour, suspense, ballet (I know, you'll understand when you see the film), drama, science fiction, even romance (the relationship between mankind and their tools reflects a sadist romance: romance between a killer and his gun, between a doctor and his needle, between a schoolboy and his pencil).
The acting, oh lord, the acting. Never in a film have I seen such marvelous, spectacular, astounding, astonishing acting on everyone's part. However, there is one whom shines. HAL 9000. Played by Douglas Rain, HAL 9000, the "computor" controlling the ship, is sinister, cruel, a perfectionist, would rather kill than be wrong, and more human than any crew member aboard. Doug plays HAL like the computor HAL is, delivering it to perfection.
Just to finish, 2001 is a film that will never be forgotten. But don't watch it if you are not up to being so confused you might as well be high.

No comments:

Post a Comment