Friday 6 May 2011

Requiem For A Dream

So I have a list. And on that list is a list of movies that I must see before I turn 15. On that list was the Stanly Kubrick classic, Barry Lyndon. It wasn't in Blockbuster. Damn.
So, needing another movie on my list, I chose Requiem For A Dream, excited for a compelling and serious drama, which so happens to be my favourite type of movie. I soon popped the DVD into the DVD player and happily watched my movie.
The sheer brilliance could not be brought out into words.
The movie basically grabbed me where it hurts and then ripped my voicebox out so I could do nothing but blubber like an idiot at the ending. No joke. I cried like there was no tomorrow. I couldn't help myself! It shocked me, it got to me, it hurt me, it made me feel so intensely disturbed that I hid under blankets, afraid that drugs were going to come and get me, smash my dreams, and ruin my life. This is why I loved it.
A film paralleling the lives of Sara Goldfarb, a lonely, TV obsessed widow, and her son Harry, his girlfriend Marion, and his drug dealer friend Tyrone. After learning that she will make an appearance on a TV game show, Sara tries to lose weight so that she can fit into her prized red dress, and becomes hooked on diet pills. Meanwhile, Harry and his friends are taking heroin and cocaine. We then witness the disasterous consequences and the downward spiral their lives take as a result of their addictions.
Jared Leto, Jeniffer Connely, and Marlon Wayans play amazing in their roles, yet Ellen Burstyn is devine. This is easily the best role of her entire career, no doubt. her role of Sara Goldfarb will make you hate drugs even more than you already did (I hope). She will make the film hard to watch. Having to see this frail old woman go from perfectly normal to alone and insane because she had a dream and ruined it because of her addiction to diet pills is too much for even me to bear. And I have seen alot. It actually angers me to think how she lost the award of best supporting actress to Julia Roberts. Academy Awards, I trusted you? Honestly, are you addicted to diet pills or something?
Oh Lord, sweet God in Heaven, the main theme. Congrats Clint Mansell, you have created a modern masterpiece that is more familiar than any other movie theme ever. Infact I'm listening to it on iTunes right now. I'm such a nerd.
I could right a review for this movie a mile long, so I'm going to cut it here. The sheer genius of this film is so brilliant it is enough to make anyone go on drugs...literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment